Head of Services
If you have a disability and require any assistance in completing the form, please call the Limes. The decision to shortlist you for interview will be based solely on the information you provide in your application form.
Please refer to the Job Profile and Person Profile when completing Relevant Experience, as this space will provide you with the opportunity to tell us how you meet the selection criteria for the job.
Rather than simply repeating your career history, look at the skills and experience required by the job and give specific examples of work or actions that show you have the required skills. Do not forget to include any skills and experience that you have gained outside full time employment.
Should you not hear from us by 5pm 12 October 2020, you can assume you have not been shortlisted for interview. We hope you understand we take this approach in order to save The Limes, the postage costs.
The interviews will provisionally take place on during the day on 12 October 2020
Please read carefully the Job Profile and the Person Profile below.
Click on the '+' icon to reveal each one.
Then click the Apply here button to complete the online application form.
Hours: 37 hours per weekSalary: £35,000 depending on qualfications and experience.
Responsible to: CEO
Purpose of the job
The Head of Services (HoS) is responsible for the management of The Limes services. Accountable to the CEO, you will lead and develop the services aimed at children, young people & vulnerable adults up to age 25, to ensure that our strategic vision becomes a reality. The HoS will work with the CEO to ensure the development of user involvement and to ensure that our services reflect the core values of inclusion and support the whole family.
The HoS will be responsible to the CEO for the efficient management of services, for the income and expenditure of these budgets, and for monitoring and reporting to our funders and donors. The HoS will be expected to work to ensure the smooth running of services. To be an OFSTED registered manager and Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead.
- Ensuring projects maintain an effective level of operational delivery through agreement and regular analysis of (operational) objectives.
- The auditing of administration and systems to ensure that accurate & confidential records, monitoring and evaluating records, are maintained in the Limes Centre (in which you are based).
- Responsible for the safety of The Limes services.
- To contribute to reporting to the Board of Trustees (Services & User Involvement)
- To contribute to the overall Business strategy for The Limes
- To liaise and build links with people in local organisations including the Local Authority to facilitate referrals
- To manage the recruitment, training and development of the Services staff team
- To ensure the appropriate support & supervision is provided to the staff team
- To ensure that annual performance reviews are conducted for the services team
- To ensure the operation of effective and regulatory compliant procedures for the recruitment, training and induction of volunteer.
- To provide guidance and support on the organisational policies, procedures and relevant legislation to the staff team.
- To take part in the preparation of income and expenditure budgets for services, and to monitor these budgets throughout the year, including managing the agreed annual expenditure budgets.
- To contribute to the design and development of The Limes services programme alongside service users and the senior management team.
- Maintaining and developing appropriate quality assurance and ensuring adherence to them.
- Ensuring compliance with relevant audit requirements & regulatory compliance as a Registered Manager for OFSTED.
- To ensure families can access direct support costs and other professional services (eg speech and language therapy) which they are entitled to in order to improve skills and capabilities of disabled children and adults.
- To be in regular contact with parents / carers and to provide feedback on their family member’s activities; and to provide the quarterly Parent Advisory Group (PAG) meetings
- To be in regular contact and ensure that Makers and Shapers the service user involvement programme happens at The Limes twice a term or a minimum of quarterly per year.
- To ensure fundraising priorities are represented to senior management team.
- To contribute to the development and submission of funding bids for local statutory grants, corporate, trusts and other potential sources of funding.
- To ensure that records of audit and reports on any grants are maintained and that necessary returns are submitted on time.
- To represent the interests of The Limes within agreed policies and procedures with funders and at events.
- In collaboration with the CEO, to ensure effective use of resources to deliver fundraising and profile raising events in Waltham Forest.
- To become fully conversant with the philosophy, aims and objectives of The Limes working within agreed policies and procedures including health and safety procedures and anti-discriminatory practice.
- To attend training, staff meetings and supervision as required.
- To maintain confidentiality in relation to users, carers and staff.
- To work outside of 9 – 5 hours and weekends by agreement and according to Services need.
- Any other duties as may be specified by the CEO.
Key: AF = Application form. I = Interview
|a. NVQ3 Playwork or equivalent relevant qualification to be a registered manager with Ofsted||Essential||AF|
|b. General education up to Degree or equivalent standard||Desirable||AF|
|c. Knowledge of day care standards||Essential||I|
|d. Knowledge of the issues facing disabled children and young people||Essential||I|
|e. Knowledge of safeguarding issues||Desirable||I|
|f. Awareness of the Every Child Matters agenda||Essential||I|
|a. Personal integrity and credibility||Essential||AF|
|b. To have worked in a multi-cultural, multi-racial setting||Essential||AF|
|c. Effective leadership and successful management||Essential||AF,I|
|d. Commitment to self and staff development||Essential||AF|
|e. To have had experience of inclusive play||Desirable||I|
|f. To have had experience of producing timely monitoring and evaluation information||Essential||AF|
|g. To have a knowledge of the Health and Safety requirements for the Centre||Desirable||AF|
|h. To have been involved in budget management||Essential||I|
Abilities – both aptitudes and skills
|a. To be able to lead and motivate a staff team||Essential||I|
|b. To be able to produce high quality written reports||Essential||I|
|c. To be able to critically evaluate service delivery and amend as necessary||Essential||I|
|d. To be able to lead on the participation of children and young people in the development of the centre||Essential||I|
|e. To be able to prioritise the workload and delegate as appropriate||Essential||I|
|f. To be able to promote inclusive service delivery||Essential||I|
|g. To be fluent with Word, Excel and Email||Essential||I|
|h. To demonstrate a positive approach to problem solving||Essential||I|
Personal qualities- characteristics, style, interests, attitudes
|a. To be committed to promoting the rights of disabled children and young people to play and leisure activities||Essential||I|
|b. To be convinced of the value of play in the development of every child||Essential||I|
|c. To be committed to the value of inclusive activities||Essential||I|
|d. To be calm and able to cope with a wide variety of tasks and people||Essential||I|
|e. To have an interest in challenging discrimination of all kinds but particularly towards children and young people with disabilities||Essential||I|
|f. To enjoy working independently and on your own initiative||Essential||I|
|a. To be able to work occasional Sundays and evenings||Essential||I|
|b. To work within the no smoking policy of the Limes||Essential||I|